Here are a few key facts to consider as we all hear so much on this subject according to Moody's Economy.com:
- Insurance is the most capital-intensive of all US industries. This explains why insurance companies continue to consolidate into larger surviving companies.
- Consolidation has resulted in near-monopolies in some areas, with a single health insurer holding market share in excess of 70% in 1/6th of all metropolitan areas.
- Because of reduced ability to spread the risk, the cost of individual health insurance premiums (up 80% in last 5 years) has increased much more rapidly than large group insurance premiums (up 35% in last 5 years).
- Of the 46 million uninsured, approximately 30 million earn more than $25,000 annually and about 20 million of those earn more than $50,000 annually.
- Of the 46 million uninsured, the vast majority (almost 40 million) are of working age between 18 and 64.